Q1. Do I need to be present at the lottery drawing in order to be eligible?
A1. Yes, all applicants must be present at the lottery drawing in order to be eligible.
Q2. How is the grant money distributed?
A2. The $3,000 grant will be distributed in two installments, one of $2,250 at the beginning of the three-month period and $750 at the culmination of the program. Essentially, this breaks down to 75% of the money up front and the remaining 25% at the end.
Q3. How do I submit work samples?
A3. Work samples must be submitted through the Artist/District application available on the website. The total of all submitted works cannot exceed 1GB. While some artists may have larger portfolios of work we request that all applicants limit themselves to between 3-5 samples per our program requirements. Applicants may include a website or other digital platform under the optional line in the Application section but are not required to do so. Any work not included in the 3-5 samples will not affect the application process.
If the size of your work samples exceeds 1GB, please include a link to a third-party site (Youtube, Vimeo, etc.) which hosts your work. Separate submission boxes have been included for each of the 3-5 work samples.
Q4. What is a “weighted lottery?”
A4. Artist/District is committed to supporting artists in a manner consistent with the racial demographics of Baltimore City. Typically arts grant applications are made by a disproportionately white number of applicants. The pool of applicants in the Artist/District lottery will be reflective of the racial makeup of Baltimore City, more-or-less, 7 non-white to 3 white. This will be achieved, if necessary, by multiplying the chances of non-white applicants in order to achieve this ratio.
For any other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What dates should I be aware of?
A. Here are the important dates to remember:
April 18 - Application submissions begin.
June 8 – Get in-person help submitting your application.
June 14 – Application Submission Deadline.
July 5 – Notice of application receipt.
July 27 – Party and lottery drawing!
October 26 – Another party! Community Presentations from grant winners.
Q. How do I apply?
A. Submit an application here: https://artistdistrict.wufoo.com/forms/mw8w4bi1nahiu5/
Printed copies can be sent to 100 North Holliday Street, Room 523, Baltimore, MD 21202.
Q. Who is eligible?
A. Applicants must be:
20 years of age or older by 7/13/2019;
A resident of the 3rd Council District in Baltimore City. Find your council district here or call Councilman Dorsey’s office at 410-396-4812.
A person with a current creative practice. Professional experience performing or exhibiting is not required.
2018 grant winners are not eligible.